Today, I receive all God’s love for me. Today, I open myself to the unbounded, limitless, overflowing abundance of God’s Universe. Today, I open myself to your Blessings, healing and miracles.Today, I open myself to God’s Word so that I become more like Jesus Everyday. Today, I proclaim that I’m God’s Beloved, I’m God’s Servant, I’m God’s powerful champion, And because I am blessed, I will bless the world, In Jesus Name, Amen.

Featured Post

The Great Wall of China in Mutianyu

The Great Wall of China is referred to in Mandarin as Wanli Changcheng   (10,000-Li Long Wall or simply very long wall) BEIJING, ...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

THE FAMOUS EGGETTE IN HONGKONG


An eggette is a kind of spherical pancake or ball waffle popular in the Cantonese-speaking regions of China, including Hong Kong and Macau. 
The food item is also referred to as an 
  • egg puff
  • egg waffle
  • bubble waffle 
  • or by its Cantonese name, gai daan jai (鷄蛋仔)
Eggettes' are made from eggs, sugar, flour, and light evaporated milk. They are best served hot, and often eaten plain. They can also be served with fruit and flavors such as strawberry, coconut or chocolate. They are sometimes referred to as "Hong Kong cakes" in Chinatown across America, especially in New York.
You could buy and eat This "Eggette"  along Granville Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. There are 2 to 3 shops along this area.
Eggettes' are one of the most popular Hong Kong "street snacks" and was ranked No.3 in the 50 most popular HK "street snack".

They seemed to be easy to make all you need are 2 steel eggette mould, eggs and flour mixture and electricity and there you have the eggette you want.


But then again the simpler it seems, the better skills it takes. Eggette doesn't seem much different from waffles or pancakes you get from Jollibee. but then the skills involved can be so much more demanding.

Watching the production of the Mammy Pancake, one would finally understand what it means by skills and how minor improvements from the existing skills can make such a big difference in the quality.

Mammy Pancake house is a very popular pancake store among the locals in Hong Kong. It is located at Shop 2A, G/F, Whampoa Street, Hung Hom 紅磡黃埔街2號A地下


           Mammy Pancake   媽咪雞蛋仔 


Mammy Pancake house neat kitchen
 Mammy Pancake Signage
Mammy Pancake make their eggette slowly, real slow while you could see one store down Kimberley Street, Tsim Sha Tsui, and the man juggles between five eggette moulds and he serves 10 customers in 10 minutes, make 10 eggettes every single minute and people lined up quickly leave with their order. No problem at all for that guy! But the eggettes taste plain and normal as any other ones you could find almost anywhere else. 

On the other hand, Mammy Pancake's staff spent at least 3 to 4 minutes to make one eggette, and the long queue of customers have to wait for 15 minutes for their food but yet they waited!

Average waiting time: 15 minutes. Make your order first and they will give you a token with number. They will call you when your order is ready.
Instead of having a typical chocolate coloured and flavoured pancake, Mammy offers plain egg pancake with lots of chocolate bits spreading randomly across the whole pancake. What's more fascinating was that the chocolate bites were all melted within the egg pancakes, so you could literally taste the smooth chocolate paste sweetening your palate.

The texture of the egg pancake was crispy and light with a strong taste of egg. It also contained the aroma of egg and chocolate on it. The melted chocolate was pretty smooth and had a similar taste as the chocolate filling of the Lotte's Koala chocolate b
iscuit. Such a scrumptious chocolate pancake, totally worth the wait!

There are three choices of flavor - original, chocolates and WHITE SESAME!

Happy Eating!


Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines


26 comments:

Yuki Anne said...

Makes me wanna go to HongKong, NOW. :D

Unknown said...

You ought to go! It is super yummy!

madmader said...

I love eggettes! It's nice to eat them while warm. Sayang I wasn't able the try the flavored ones... next time I will~ Thanks for sharing this :)

Unknown said...

You are very much welcome madmader! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Maricel said...

Those eggettes sure look tasty. Hope somebody thinks of setting up shop and selling eggettes in the Philippines, too. That way, we don't all have to go to Hong Kong to get a taste of them. :D

Lady Patchy said...

I thought there is eggettes to in china town area ,Phils .I love the chcolate filled eggettes of Mammy Pancake in your phots. it reminds me of waffles.

kiko said...

weeee i want to go to Hongkong and grab some of them

My recent post Bakit nga ba Cinderella?

Unknown said...

Nagutom ako dun ha! Sana may magbenta na nyan dito

Anonymous said...

do you think eggettes idea would click here in manila? Is there a place in manila where i can get some ? thanks :)

Unknown said...

:-) I don't know po pero I think a lot of Filipinos who love eggettes will certainly love a store here po. Pasensya ka na po sa late reply minsan po kasi busy po ako. Pasensya na po.

Cielo said...

Parang it also have similar one in SM...kaya lang more of a Japanese cake....

I just noticed food carts in HK offers delectable food talaga....

Unknown said...

been wanting to try this for the longest time :)

MheAnne said...

wow, this is an interesting post!i have been back and forth in HK for 5 years but i haven't heard about eggette! i will definitely try this one when i'm in HK or Macau next. thanks for sharing!

MaxiVelasco said...

This one really interests me. I have been to Hong Kong in 2009 but haven't had the chance to find this. Might be new. Hmm. Will give it a go the next time I drop by Hong Kong.

yuuki said...

i'll look for eggette when we go to Mongkok for the night market, kaso 1 month pa un...

julie ann said...

this really looks interesting. I should ask my friends from HK to send me some.. ahaha.

rc gweniful said...

i missed this when we visited HK last month. sayang.

Swexie said...

Have you seen Oishi Manju? It looks the same with eggettes but those little round cakes are not connected. hehehe!

YANI said...

I saw one of the same kind here in the Philipppines..will blog about it too! Cool!

GagayMD said...

cool ah! hahaha..di pa ako nakakakita ng ganito dito sa Pinas..

Sumi Go said...

I want to try eggettes! :D I'll definitely won't miss this when I go to Hong Kong, which I hope is soon.. :D

Unknown said...

Wow!! Na excite ako dito. Aside from unique sya, seems delicious din. Chocolates ba ung filling nya?

stacy said...

The white sesame caught my attention. Masarap ba siya sobra talo ang waffles dito?

Unknown said...

I would love to taste this. But I have to go to HK first. :-p

Anonymous said...

Hong Kong Eggettes is now in Philippines... check out our facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hongkong-Eggettes-Philippines/272745029493674

Anonymous said...

Hong Kong Eggette Outlets:

1.) Harrison Plaza Mall (1st Floor near SM)

2.) Robinsons Place Manila
(3rd Floor near escalator at food court area)

More outlets opening soon...

Post a Comment

Welcome

 

Travel, Photographs and Lifestyle Copyright © 2010 LKart Theme is Designed by Lasantha